Monday, July 14, 2014

Back to work.......


.. or just back to normal.  My husband has been on holidays the last couple of weeks, so we've taken the opportunity to drive around and take lots of pictures from our favourite spots.  We're lucky enough to live almost across the road from the Beaver Creek Conservation Area, and just down the road from Cranberry Flats, so it's easy to drop in and check out what's blooming - and right now, there's lots blooming! 


Aren't these pretty?  These are Gaillardia and right now, there are several large patches blooming.



This is a mixture happily growing together on a sandy slope. There were also lots of butterflies, but none cooperated for a photo op!  Here you can see wild Bergamot,  Prairie Coneflowers (Ratibida) and wild Flax.
 


More Bergamot - I love stitching these.



This little guy is Scarlet Gaura, or Gaura coccinea. You can easily miss this charming little plant. The newer flowers are light pink and they turn quite red-scarlet as they mature. The blossoms open a few at a time and are almost white, but within a few hours, they turn this gorgeous red.


 This is my stitched version of Liatris punctata, or Dotted Blazingstar.  It's just starting to appear but soon the fields will be full of it. 



And this is a stitched lily growing in my garden! 



Out at Blackstrap - just down from the Retreat is this "housing development" that really begged to be photographed.  The grass in the ditch was almost taller than I was! 
 


This is a stitched version of the path down to the lookout at Cranberry Flats.  This is from last autumn. I especially like this piece.








Are these not the cutest little things?? They're Eriogonum flavum, or Yellow Umbrellaplant and are growing happily on the banks of the river.  We hadn't seen these before, so naturally took a dozen or more pictures. Excess is good, especially when it's botanical excess!


My husband Adrian took this one. The riverbank, in one spot, is riddled with enormous rocks that are covered in lichen. They're stunning, as this one clearly shows.






And finally, we hit paydirt when it comes to wild flowers!  We found a large patch of wild Lilies. It was off the regular path and we very nearly missed them, but fortunately Adrian picked up a haze of orange and investigated.  Once we found this patch, we found quite a few more scattered throughout the area. I'm soooo very glad these are in a protected area and not at the mercy of well-meaning gardeners with shovels!  These plants don't like to be disturbed and when they are, they usually don't survive, so PLEASE - leave them where they grow so we can all enjoy their beauty.

Well, that's just a tiny sample of the pictures we took over the past couple of weeks. Most of what you see above will be stitched, so I'll post those when they are completed.  I'm already thinking about my next show/sale, which will be September 20th at Solar Gardens.  If you haven't visited Solar Gardens yet, you really must go and have a look at this place. You won't believe your eyes - I promise!!! It's rather like being in the tropics in the middle of the Canadian prairie! It's run by two very ambitious, not to mention talented guys who grow masses and masses of succulents, have a tasting room for all kinds of yummy goodies, and now have a restaurant called the Firesticks Cafe where you can stuff yourself on the most delicious pizza anywhere. This show/sale promises to be really great - lots of very well known artists will be in attendance, so watch for the poster. It's only one day so you won't want to miss it.  I'm planning on having my new cards there (Art in a Card) and also some rather large stitched pieces.  I've been experimenting with getting out of the 5" x 7" and 8" x 10" rut and going BIG - how big remains to be seen, but so far an looking at around the 24"-30" range.

Ok - back to work.  Enjoy this fabulous weather!!! .............................. donna

10 comments:

  1. Looks like a great time away from the studio to reconnect with nature! Love your stitched Lily!! Good luck at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lorette - it WAS a great time. Hopefully we can get out to take more pictures. Need lots and lots!! ... donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. so happy that you can still find wild prairie lilies!! I used to see them as a child in all the ditches, but no more! Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Flo. These lilies were at Cranberry Flats and although I go there a lot, I've never seen quite so many. Conditions are great again this year for wildflowers - gotta love it!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Donna, your wildflower pictures are beautiful and coming across a patch of wild prairie lilies is always special. Your stitched pieces are ALL fabulous! I'd love to go to the Solar Gardens show in September but I'm not sure at this point whether it will work out. Hope it goes wonderfully well for you. Really enjoyed your posts and pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JPP - glad to hear from you again. Thank you for the compliments. I really do hope you can get to Solar Gardens. It's going to be a fabulous show. I'm hoping to get some new pieces and ideas ready by then. All this glorious beauty is making my head spin-I feel like I NEED hundreds of pictures to get me through the cold months. In the meantime, I'm definitely enjoying the warmer weather and great scenery.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for these yummy flower pictures, can't wait to see them stitched!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on stitching most of them and will definitely post them when completed. Thanks for commenting Regina...donna

      Delete
  6. Too funny ; ) I have the same birdhouse on fencepost shot with yellow canola in the background from a few summers ago. Like... standing in the same spot! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw your picture in Flickr-had to hunt for it tho-I think I was standing on the other side of the fence from you, but it definitely is the same location.

      Delete