Saturday, April 5, 2014

GARDENSCAPE 2014

Gardenscape is now over and done for yet another year.  The weather, with the exception of one day, was terrible, especially when the whole idea of Gardenscape is to bring about thoughts of spring....of gardening....hmmmm...hard to do when it's snowing.  Anyway, the Art Show was reasonably well attended and I managed to sell a few pieces. 


 This is Grandma's Pansy and was so-named because my Grandmother loved blue pansies and always had them in her garden. This piece is sold.










On the Rocks  is still available.  It certainly attracted a lot of attention at Gardenscape. Email me if you're interested in this piece. The artwork is 10" x 8" and is framed to 15" x 12". It sells for $280.00

 







This piece is sold also, in fact, I think I could have sold it about 50 times!  I don't think I have ever done any work that has attracted quite so much attention.






This is The Dandelion-gone to Seed and is available. It measures 7" x 5" for the artwork and is framed to 12" x 10".  I'm asking $185.00



This is also available for $190.00. It's called Oriental Lily, measures 7"x5" for the art, framed to 12"x10".


This is Dotted BlazingStar and was inspired by the multitude of these flowers growing at the Beaver Creek Conversation Area.  It measures 6"x4", is framed to 10"x11" and sells for $115.00.





 I have a few more pieces available and will post them next week.

While at Gardenscape last weekend, I was asked by a woman to reproduce a piece that had already been sold.   Although I was quite prepared to do another version for her, it seemed that she wanted the exact same image.   I will do commissions, but I won't do duplicates of a piece already sold, regardless of size.  I sell my work as original art and just don't feel it's original if I'm selling duplicates.  I also don't feel it's fair to the person who has purchased the original.  Once I've used one of my pictures in an art piece, it's permanently retired. I'm sorry if some people find this annoying, but I assure you, I have hundreds of pictures and if you find one that you like, I have LOTS more and can make it up into a thread painting that's unique to you. 

Now that Gardenscape is finished, I have a talk to prepare, a few pieces to finish for a gallery and then I've promised myself the summer in my garden. I've just started my second year of showing and am very pleased with the way my art has been received.  I've met a great many other artists and have to say that, for me, getting togther with these people is the high point of Gardenscape. These people were a tremendous support to me last year at Gardenscape 2013, which was the very first art show for my stitched pieces. I was very glad to see all of them back this year, with a few new, welcome additions. I hope we can get together in between art shows in the coming months!

I intend to post more regularly in the coming weeks.  I find it difficult to justify spending time on my computer when I have work to complete, and so I'm afraid my blog gets neglected. But I am planning on getting a website put together in the near future or possibly an Etsy shop. Who knows.....but I do know that it's nearly time to get out the camera for the spring season and seeing as how the Beaver Creek Conservation Area and Cranberry Flats are basically my "front yard", I'll definitely be spending lots of time there. I have a fairly major project on the back burner and will tell you about that when plans are more concrete.

Ok - I'll post more in a week or so. Look for more of my work by the end of April at the SK Craft Council Boutique............................................................................donna


14 comments:

  1. Original art is....well.....original, so I think it's great that you don't make duplicates. Your work is stunning and, no doubt, even more so, in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo - glad you agree with me on the original art issue. And very glad that you like my artwork.........donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. incredible!! That must be sooo much work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it seems to take forever, but the more I do, the easier it gets. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  4. Visiting from The Needle and Thread Network! What gorgeous work you create!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work! And I totally agree about not reproducing already completed and sold pieces, I would feel rather cheated if I bought an original then found out that a duplicate was also created and sold to someone else...

    Thanks for letting us see these special pieces of art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. Glad you agree with me about duplicate art.

      Delete
  6. Your pieces are absolutely incredible, and I agree with you on keeping your pieces unique. It is not only fair to the client, but also keeps our creativity engaged. If I wanted to do chain work I'd work in a factory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and I"m glad to see that you agree.

      Delete
  7. You go, girl. It's all about staying original! Sounds like you did very well at Garden Scapes. One of these years I will make it there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! Gardenscape was down a bit in attendance this year from what I'm told, but the art show was pretty well attended. And the artists that show their work there are one of the major reasons that I go. As for staying original, I've had very good instructors (you included!)...cheers.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you JPP! Looking forward to making some spring themed work, if spring ever arrives that is! It's snowing yet again.

      Delete